100% MERINO WOOL FELT
Traditional sheep wool felting is one of the oldest textile techniques, which prevailed until humans eventually learned to weave textiles. Although dozens of new textiles, including synthetics, have emerged through the ages, natural wool felt is especially relevant today as an organic and nature friendly material.
This is a 100% biodegradable and renewable resource, as sheep wool grows back in a year!
To make our products we have chosen designer class 100% natural, premium quality Merino wool felt made in Germany. Merino sheep are prized for their fine fur and considered to have the highest quality wool. Felt made of this material is distinguished by exceptional softness and durability. It is water, soil and flame resistant, doesn’t crease, stretch or lint and protects precious items from impacts.
SYNTHETIC vs NATURAL
There are two main categories of felt: synthetic and natural. Synthetic may be produced from artificial fibre, mixed with wool or made of recycled plastic bottles (the latter is otherwise known as eco-friendly felt). Such felt is way cheaper and plainer, so it is utilised for those items not intended for daily use, such as Christmas tree decorations, carnival costumes or children’s works.
Whenever softness, mildness and rich colours are required, designer felt is much preferred. Natural designer felt is used to make hats, clothes, handbags and cases, interior and fashion accessories.
The advantages of natural felt over synthetic:
- Natural wool felt is an organic, environmentally friendly material – 100% biodegradable and renewable. Sheep are usually sheared in spring or early summer, and their wool grows back in a year;
- Natural felt is soft, cosy and pleasant to touch. When touching synthetic felt, one may sense the material is unnatural. This is like leather: the genuine one has its special smell, texture and feel.
- It is lint, stretch, discolouration and flame resistant;
- Lanolin, the natural wool-fat, makes the felt resistant to moisture and soiling. Drops of water simple drop off the material without being absorbed. The dirt doesn’t penetrate inside and may be brushed off with ease
- Due to antibacterial characteristics wool is resistant to mould and environmental odours.
CARE OF YOUR FELT PRODUCT
- Small stains can be gently washed with soap and cleaned with a brush under running water;
- Dry in a natural environment. Don’t dry directly on any source of heat;
- Do not wash in a washing machine, put in a dryer, or iron;
- For the maintenance of natural leather elements, use appropriate means as given in FULL GRAIN LEATHER section.